Recommended option for new Beeton arena estimated at $18
The final report for Phase 1 of the Beeton Facility Replacement Project
to be presented tonight, includes four options and recommends the most
expensive scenario with an estimated price tag of $17.9 million.
Option A involves the demolition of the existing building, and
construction of a new
single-pad arena and community centre, at a Construction Cost of
$17,985,916. (And that could climb to just over $19 million by the end
of 2019), according to the "High Level Business Case" prepared by James
Fryett Architect Inc. In comparison, the NTRC cost approximately
The preferred option includes:
- Indoor single ice pad based on NHL size rink dimension, and full
and support features
- Indoor multi-purpose community centre consisting of:
- Multi-purpose gymnasium/ event space + stage (including storage, coat
- Community Kitchen to serve both the Multi-purpose Gymnasium/ Event
Space and Multi-Purpose Rooms
- Fitness Centre including space for free weights, cardio machines,
- Two Multi-Purpose Rooms each with a capacity of 25-30 persons
- Small Meeting Room/ Interview Room
- Change rooms/ Showers/ Washrooms for the gymnasium/ event space
and fitness centre
- Lobby/ Reception area including a warm viewing area, canteen/
concession, public washrooms, etc.
- Indoor walking path/ track.
The report does not include any financing options, other than to note
that part of its financing will be development charges eligible. There
is $14 million line item in the DC background report listed as an "ice
pad." It is not allocated to a particular project. However, DCs require
development, and currently new development is frozen in Beeton pending
a long term solution to storm drainage issues.
"Staff will work on long range financial plan for the project and would
explore grant opportunities to offset some of the costs of the
preferred option including completing the project in two phases over
long term and review partnerships with public/private groups,"
according to the report to council.